The numbers are in! Popular Black-led shows such as ABC’s Black-ish and HBO’s Insecure are bringing in great viewership, and not just from Black people.
A new Nielsen report proves that these shows are crossing racial lines with many non-White audiences being their main supporters. The study shows Black-ish has a 79 percent non-Black viewership, Insecure has a 61 percent non-Black viewership and Atlanta has a 50 percent non-Black viewership.
In an era where people are demanding more diversity in films, television seems to be proving how such causes can be successful.
Not to mention, award shows have shown love to TV actresses such as Tracee Ellis Ross, who just received a Golden Globe for her role in Black-ish, and Taraji P. Henson, who won a Golden Globe in January 2016 for her role on Empire.
Andrew McCaskill, who serves as Senior Vice President of Communications, Multicultural Marketing at Nielsen, said, “Much of the American narrative lately has focused on a growing cultural divide. But Nielsen’s data on television programming show something different.” He continued, “Storylines with a strong black character or identity are crossing cultural boundaries to grab diverse audiences and start conversations. That insight is important for culture and content creators, as well as manufacturers and retailers looking to create engaging, high-impact advertising campaigns.”
Is this a big leap for Black-led entertainment? Time will tell as those ratings continue to come in.
2017 SAG Awards: Black Girl Magic Was In Full Force On The Red Carpet
1. Octavia Spencer was all smiles in her classic black ensemble.Source:Getty 1 of 9
2. Can Kerry Washington be any more stunning?Source:Getty 2 of 9
3. Taraji P. Henson was the star of the show.Source:Getty 3 of 9
4. Janelle Monae ditched her usual black and white suit for glam.Source:Getty 4 of 9
5. Tracee Ellis Ross kept it simple and elegant.Source:Getty 5 of 9
6. Viola Davis showed off her toned arms in this gorgeous number.Source:Getty 6 of 9
7. OITNB stars Samira Wiley and Jackie Cruz glowed while walking the carpet.Source:Getty 7 of 9
8. Denzel and Pauletta Washington brought black love to the SAGs.Source:Getty 8 of 9
9. Danielle Brooks had one of the best looks of the night.Source:Getty 9 of 9
Who’s Watching Shows Like ‘Black-ish’& ‘Atlanta’? The Answer May Surprise You… was originally published on globalgrind.com