Missy Elliott is back like she never left! The multi-platinum Grammy Award-winning rapper can now add another accolade to her list of accomplishments.
She just received the inaugural Innovator of the Year Award during Billboard’s annual “Women In Music” celebration.
Missy’s friend and fellow collaborator Ciara presented the living legend with her award. Missy was one of the early mentors to help shape Ciara’s career with her verse on “1, 2 Step,” while Ciara’s vocals on Missy’s hit “Lose Control” scored them both a Grammy Award for Best Music Video.
Before Missy took the stage, CiCi instructed everyone to stand. “There is truly no one like her,” said the singer.
For over 20 years, Missy’s creative lyricism and visuals have set a high bar for the female rappers following. Even after a near ten-year hiatus from music to manage her health issues (Missy suffers from Graves’ disease) she was welcomed back with open arms during the 2015 Super Bowl Halftime Show. We almost forgot it was Katy Perry‘s set when Missy performed four of her classic hits.
During her award acceptance speech, Missy humbly said, “I stand here for all the women who been told you don’t fit the mold,” she said close to tears. “Look at me, I’m here.”
“I wanna thank all the women before me, because they kicked down the door for me to be able to walk through,” she added.
SOURCE: Billboard | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
The Women Of Color Who Walked In The 2015 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show
1. Cindy Bruna.Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. Ming Xi.Source:Getty 2 of 11
3. Angolan model Sharam Diniz.Source:Getty 3 of 11
4. Joan Smalls made her fifth appearance on the VS runway.Source:Getty 4 of 11
5. Lais Ribeiro.Source:Getty 5 of 11
6. 25-year-old Gracie Carvalho hails from Brazil.Source:Getty 6 of 11
7. Jasmine Tookes.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. Sui He.Source:Getty 8 of 11
9. Maria Borges.Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Leila Nda.Source:Getty 10 of 11
11. Leomie Anderson.Source:Getty 11 of 11
Missy Elliott Crowned Billboard’s “Innovator Of The Year” At The #WomenInMusic Awards was originally published on globalgrind.com