Is the hottest gift this holiday season too dangerous?
A Louisiana family blames a hover board as the reason why their home was destroyed. Local authorities are investigating now, but this is not the first allegation of smoking hover boards.
Fire isn’t the only potential danger people have reported about these hot, new items. The Consumer Product Safety Commission said it’s received eight reports of emergency room-treated injuries related to hover boards in just the last three months.
The family said the fire happened moments after plugging it in to charge it. Investigators are looking into that.
Social media sites are packed with so-called hover board fails. Teenager Xavier Terell made a YouTube video of his first hoverboard ride. “I screwed up my knee. I didn’t think I would get injured that badly,” he said.
And that’s why experts advise wearing a helmet, and even wrist and knee pads.