Last night was the Philadelphia screening of one of the most anticipated movies of the summer, Straight Outta Compton. The film, based on the story of rap group NWA tells an interesting story of three hip-hop legends, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and the late Eazy E and what life was like growing up in the streets of Compton.
The movie screening included a live interview and Q&A session hosted by Fox 29’s Qunicy Harris with special guests, Ice Cube, his son Oshea Jackson Jr., Jason Mitchell, who plays Eazy E, and director F. Gary Gray.
If you aren’t already convinced to see the movie, check out 5 reasons to catch Straight Outta Compton in theaters August 14th.
- The movie contains great music. Aside from hit records from NWA’s catalog, it features music from other hip-hop artist and some timeless R&B your parents probably grew up on.
- Director, F. Gary Gray, also directed other good movies such as Law Abiding Citizen and the classic film Friday. Additionally, he received assistance from other hip hop legends like DJ Jazzy Jeff.
- Aside from the girls, parties, and the lavish lifestyles, the movie displays a side of the music business many people may not get to see.
- The movie includes discussion on the disease HIV AIDS, during a time when people considered it a “gay man’s disease”.
- Last but not least, it allows viewers to see what racial tensions and police brutality were like during that era, which is very similar to the current state of Black America.
Click here for details on how to win a trip to the Los Angeles premiere.