Before her death, Nina Simone visited Lauryn Hill while she was on tour in 1999, and since then their connection has transcended beyond mortality.
In a statement to Rolling Stone, Lauryn Hill discussed her love and admiration of Nina Simone.
“Because I fed on this music, both hers and lovers like her, like my basic food, I believed I always had a right to have a voice. Her example is clearly a form of sustenance to a generation needing to find theirs. What a gift.”
The film What Happened, Miss Simone? will premiere on Netflix July 26. The film’s soundtrack will feature contributions by Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, Usher, Common, Alice Smith, and Nina Simone’s daughter Lisa. Nina Revisited: A Tribute to Nina Simone will hit iTunes on July 10.
Listen to Lauryn’s cover down under.
SOURCE: Rolling Stone | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Mary J. Blige's 22 Most Classic Looks Over The Years (PHOTOS)
1. A classic Mary J. Blige look.Source:Getty Images 1 of 22
2. Pink fur and silver metallic, Mary definitely took her share of fashion dares.Source:Getty Images 2 of 22
3. Mary might've had many changes over the years, but the blonde hair and dark sunglasses always remained constant.Source:Wenn 3 of 22
4. Mary rocks beautiful honey blonde curls.Source:Wenn 4 of 22
5. Mary accepting a VIBE award.Source:Wenn 5 of 22
6. She's gorgeous in gold.Source:Getty Images 6 of 22
7. Denim and leather chaps, get 'em Mary.Source:Getty Images 7 of 22
8. Even with her hair tied, chillin' with no make up on, Mary pulls it off.Source:Getty Images 8 of 22
9. Mary looks flawless in a red leather vest.Source:Wenn 9 of 22
10. Leather and fur, two of Mary's favorites.Source:Wenn 10 of 22
11. Whoa, MJB is fiery in her red hair and a matching red leather ensemble.Source:Wenn 11 of 22
12. The Queen of Hip Hop/Soul right before she sang the National Anthem on Thanksgiving at the Oakland Raiders vs. Dallas Cowboys in 2013.Source:Getty Images 12 of 22
13. The bold red lip was a nice pop of color to her otherwise all nude ensemble.Source:Getty Images 13 of 22
14. Mary J. and her hubby Kendu Isaacs pose on the red carpet.Source:Getty Images 14 of 22
15. All black everything with a dash of Hermes, Mary's doing what she does best: singingSource:Getty Images 15 of 22
16. Fresh faced, Mary is naturally a beauty.Source:Getty Images 16 of 22
17. Ooo kill 'em! The "No More Drama" singer gets seductive in an all black body hugging number accented with sexy slits.Source:Getty Images 17 of 22
18. Such cute leather gloves.Source:Getty Images 18 of 22
19. Mary had some dope accessories, peep the fly hat.Source:Getty Images 19 of 22
20. Pink is such a great color for her.Source:Getty Images 20 of 22
21. MJB shows some cleavage in a laced up denim top.Source:Getty Images 21 of 22
22. Mary shows off some leg, nice thigh tattoo.Source:Getty Images 22 of 22
COOL ASS COVERS: Listen To Lauryn Hill’s Cover Of Nina Simone’s “Feeling Good” was originally published on globalgrind.com