Remember when resort wear was a style of clothing for warm climate travels during the Christmas and post New Year’s Eve season? Jet setters took off in their caftans, breathable cottons and straw hats to hit the safari and headed to the leisure destinations of Cancun and Dubai. Well times have certainly changed.
MUST READ: 20 Summer Dresses To Beat The Heat
Working girls are clocking year round work schedules and set vaca times whenever they can, which varies year to year. Sometimes the travels happen during the holidays and other times we gotta squeeze it in wherever we can. And what about these crazy climate changes? Their influence has made its way into the fashion cycle as well. So with the weather being so unpredictable, consumers need their wardrobe to be flexible as well. We may want to go to a cold destination during the holidays to actually see some snow because climate control has turned Chicago 60 degrees on Thanksgiving.
This type of fashion flexibility was apparent throughout the Resort 2014 collections. Designers showcased everything from fur shrugs to swimsuits. The message was clear “we got you no matter where you go on vaca and if you can’t afford to vaca we’ll make you look like you do!” I pulled together the trends I found most fitting for the girl who has a life! We work, we play, we love, we do it all and we want fashion that shows our limitless ambitions.
The black and white trends are in abundance for Resort 2014. Chloe had that cool vibe, Escada was money chic and DKNY was sporty edge all in black and white. The beauty of black and white is that it can be worn as is or paired with bright colors for fun. Add neon shoes to your black and white ensemble or red for maximum “look at me” statement.
Whites were in volume throughout the designer presentations. Barbara Bui was on an octane white high, Cushnie Et Ochs was sleek for the slender sisters and Lanvin was boldly luxurious in white. The looks are tailored and sharp which means you will be wearing white before and memorial with ease!
The safari looks where functional and stylish for girls that travel for work. You can bring a little adventure with you! If you are not already on BCBG please get on! The looks are fantastic for both play and work. Gucci gives you aspiration with ultra lux separates you will be wearing over and over again.
For my 5th avenue ladies that dress for tea all day everyday Resort 2014 has plenty of moments that make you feel 2014 Downton Abby! Dennis Basso was chic and lovely Erdem never disappoints with its beautiful floral prints and Bibhu Mohaptra had me feeling like resort needs to happen like now!
The prints in Resort are hazed out. Its like art dealers where shuffling in the textile houses supplying the finest inspirations from global artisans. The prints are repetitious and refreshing. So if you can’t be 3000 miles away experiencing an amazing backdrop for vaca you can certainly be wearing one! Fendi had me in the zone! Fausto Puglisi made me feel like Miami is better worn than seen. The scenery is bright and colorful at House of Holland.
MUST READ: 10 Sexy Bra-Sized Swimwear (That Really Fit)
One of the most excited trends I’ve seen during the Resort 2014 presentations is the revised maxi dresses. Ladies its time to get fresh with maxi. In this beautiful slide I’ve pulled together the hottest makeovers the maxi dress has seen in years!
The Greecian styles we love have an updated twist as well! Donna Karen, Jean Paul Gaultier and Jason Wu have stunning selections of the revamped classic style.
Now unless you have been living under a rock, then you should know fashion is becoming more and more androgynous. Its boy meets girl spottings in several collections. Theyskens Theory has some notable looks as well as Alexander Wang.
I am very fond of the more stylish stripes I saw through out the resort presentations. There are chic styles in Marc Jacobs and DVF showed very pretty and smart remixes to the stripe trend as well.
An exciting trend is what I call the Hues Halves. Bold colors are color-blocked into geometric shapes on perfectly tailored garments Michael Kors, Max Mara and Josh Goot depicted the trend in multiple silhouettes. I can’t wait to dress clients in these fabulous pieces!
Decadence meets comfort is the trend for Resort 2014 night life. Beautiful and elegant two piece ensembles are in Monique Lhuillier. Matthew Williamson is decked out in hombre feathered couture. Phillip Lim pieces were 3-D type textiles in comfortable jackets and mesh skirts. The trend is accessible and wearable.
We picked out the most provocative pieces we love!! We believe we’ll be seeing these on a Hollywood red carpet soon and why not? Resort is wherever you want it to be.
Becca Alexis is Fashion Stylist to the Stars follow her on Instagram @beccalexis
and her assistant Renee Forde @rnfordeblogs
The Best Of Resort Collections 2014
1. Carolina HerreraSource:Courtesy of Carolina Herrera 1 of 89
2. ChloeSource:Courtesy of Chloe 2 of 89
3. Christian SirianoSource:Courtesy of Christian Siriano 3 of 89
4. GucciSource:Courtesy of Gucci 4 of 89
5. Rebecca MinkoffSource:Courtesy of Rebecca Minkoff 5 of 89
6. VersaceSource:Courtesy of Versace 6 of 89
7. Alexander WangSource:Courtesy of Alexander Wang 7 of 89
8. Barbara BuiSource:Courtesy of Barbara Bui 8 of 89
9. Costume NationalSource:Courtesy of Costume National 9 of 89
10. Barbara BuiSource:Courtesy of Barbara Bui 10 of 89
11. DKNYSource:Courtesy of DKNY 11 of 89
12. GucciSource:Courtesy of Gucci 12 of 89
13. Markus LupferSource:Courtesy of Markus Lupfer 13 of 89
14. MarniSource:Courtesy of Marni 14 of 89
15. Timo WeilandSource:Courtesy of Timo Weiland 15 of 89
16. Barbara BuiSource:Courtesy of Barbara Bui 16 of 89
17. Cushnie Et OchsSource:Courtesy of Cushnie Et Ochs 17 of 89
18. Fausto PulglisiSource:Courtesy of Fausto Pulglisi 18 of 89
19. J MendelSource:Courtesy of J Mendel 19 of 89
20. Josh GootSource:Courtesy of Josh Goot 20 of 89
21. Mario SchwabSource:courtesy of Mario Schwab 21 of 89
22. VersaceSource:Courtesy of Versace 22 of 89
23. Alberta FerrettiSource:Courtesy of Alberta Ferretti 23 of 89
24. Catherine MalandrinoSource:Courtesy of Catherine Malandrino 24 of 89
25. Catherine MalandrinoSource:Courtesy of Catherine Malandrino 25 of 89
26. Donna KaranSource:Courtesy of Donna Karan 26 of 89
27. IssaSource:Courtesy of Issa 27 of 89
28. Jason WuSource:Courtesy of Jason Wu 28 of 89
29. LanvinSource:Courtesy of Lanvin 29 of 89
30. Monique LhuillierSource:Courtesy of Monique Lhuillier 30 of 89
31. Nina RicciSource:Courtesy of Nina Ricci 31 of 89
32. Pamella RolandSource:Courtesy of Pamella Roland 32 of 89
33. Zac PosenSource:Courtesy of Zac Posen 33 of 89
34. Zero Maria CornejoSource:Courtesy of Zero Maria Cornejo 34 of 89
35. Barbara BuiSource:Courtesy of Barbara Bui 35 of 89
36. ChloeSource:Courtesy of Chloe 36 of 89
37. Cushnie Et OchsSource:courtesy of Cushnie Et Ochs 37 of 89
38. Giambattista ValliSource:Courtesy of Giambattista Valli 38 of 89
39. Herve LegerSource:Courtesy of Herve Leger 39 of 89
40. LanvinSource:courtesy of Lanvin 40 of 89
41. VersaceSource:Courtesy of Versace 41 of 89
42. Bibhu MohapatraSource:courtesy of Bibhu Mohapatra 42 of 89
43. DiorSource:Courtesy of Dior 43 of 89
44. ErdemSource:courtesy of Erdem 44 of 89
45. Paule KaSource:Courtesy of Paule Ka 45 of 89
46. Pamella RolandSource:Courtesy of Pamella Roland 46 of 89
47. Roberto CavalliSource:Courtesy of Roberto Cavalli 47 of 89
48. Roks and AllincicSource:Courtesy of Roks and Allincic 48 of 89
49. BCBGSource:Courtesy of BCBG 49 of 89
50. Jenni KayneSource:Courtesy Jenni Kayne 50 of 89
51. J MendelSource:Courtsey of J Mendel 51 of 89
52. Matthew WilliamsonSource:Courtesy of Matthew Williamson 52 of 89
53. MissoniSource:Courtesy of Missoni 53 of 89
54. Monique LhuillierSource:Courtesy of Monique Lhuillier 54 of 89
55. Yigal AzrouelSource:Courtesy Yigal Azrouel 55 of 89
56. BalenciagaSource:Courtesy of Balenciaga 56 of 89
57. ChanelSource:Courtesy of Chanel 57 of 89
58. Fausto PuglisiSource:Courtesy of Fausto Puglisi 58 of 89
59. Michael KorsSource:Courtesy of Michael Kors 59 of 89
60. Michael KorsSource:Courtesy of Michael Kors 60 of 89
61. Narciso RodriguezSource:Courtesy of Narciso Rodriguez 61 of 89
62. Robert RodriguezSource:Courtesy of Robert Rodriguez 62 of 89
63. ChanelSource:Courtesy of Chanel 63 of 89
64. ChloeSource:Courtesy of Chloe 64 of 89
65. GivenchySource:Courtesy of Givenchy 65 of 89
66. Jason WuSource:Courtesy of Jason Wu 66 of 89
67. Jean Paul GaultierSource:Courtesy of Jean Paul Gaultier 67 of 89
68. Jenni KanyeSource:Courtesy Jenni Kanye 68 of 89
69. Philosophy Natalier RatabesiSource:Courtesy of Philosophy Natalier Ratabesi 69 of 89
70. BurberrySource:courtesy of Burberry 70 of 89
71. ChanelSource:Courtesy of Chanel 71 of 89
72. Emilio PucciSource:Courtesy of Emilio Pucci 72 of 89
73. House of HollandSource:Courtesy of House of Holland 73 of 89
74. Marc JacobsSource:Courtesy of Marc Jacobs 74 of 89
75. Sachin BabiSource:Courtesy of Sachin Babi 75 of 89
76. VersaceSource:Courtesy of Versace 76 of 89
77. FendiSource:Courtesy of Fendi 77 of 89
78. Giorgio ArmaniSource:courtesy of Giorgio Armani 78 of 89
79. House of HollandSource:courtesy of House of Holland 79 of 89
80. Josh GootSource:Courtesy of Josh Goot 80 of 89
81. Roberto CavalliSource:Courtesy of Roberto Cavalli 81 of 89
82. Stella McCartneySource:Courtesy of Stella McCartney 82 of 89
83. Cedric CharlierSource:Courtesy of Cedric Charlier 83 of 89
84. Emilio PucciSource:Courtesy of Emilio Pucci 84 of 89
85. Jean Paul GaultierSource:Courtesy of Jean Paul Gaultier 85 of 89
86. Jen KaoSource:Courtesy of Jen Kao 86 of 89
87. Josh GootSource:Courtesy of Josh Goot 87 of 89
88. Lisa PerrySource:Courtesy of Lisa Perry 88 of 89
89. Max MaraSource:Courtesy of Max Mara 89 of 89
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook To Keep Up With The Latest Style And Beauty Trends
8 Resort-Ready Trends You Have To Try Today [PHOTOS] was originally published on hellobeautiful.com