Source: Splash / Splash News Hilary Duff
rarely makes headlines for controversy, but her Halloween costume this year has everyone talking.
The actress and her boyfriend,
Jason Walsh, sparked outrage on social media over the weekend after attending the Casamigos Halloween Party on Friday dressed as a Pilgrim and a Native American chief.
The pair, who made their first appearance as a couple at the soireé, was blasted on Twitter with people questioning Duff for approving Walsh’s costume, and wearing one just as insensitive:
After being flooded with tweets all weekend and being a trending topic for hours, Hilary took to Twitter to apologize for her insensitivity. On Sunday, she tweeted:
Walsh also apologized for the incident with a post on Instagram with a heartfelt apology:
Hilary Duff and Jason Walsh’s costume choice came at a particularly sensitive time.
Many protests are happening in North Dakota against the construction of a pipeline that could destroy thousands of miles of sacred grounds for Native Americans.
Source: Daily Mail|PHOTOCREDIT: Instagram, Splash
Fright Night: The 15 Worst Celebrity Halloween Costumes Ever
15 photos Launch gallery
1. Heidi Klum may be the queen of Halloween, but her old lady costume was more creepy than shocking.
1 of 15
2. Al Roker as Oprah is not something we want to see again.
2 of 15
3. Thumbs up for Katy Perry’s eclectic spirit, but out of all the snacks to be for Halloween, a Cheeto is not one.
3 of 15
4. We love Jessica White, but lingerie on Halloween is not a costume…not even at a lingerie-themed party.
4 of 15
5. Clearly, this was Mariah’s idea.
5 of 15
6. Halloween or not, Blackface is never ok.
6 of 15
7. Kate Upton dressed as a skeleton for Halloween, but she looks more like her everyday self.
7 of 15
8. Perez Hilton as Lady Gaga…no, no.
8 of 15
9. Aubrey O’Day’s peacock makeup was a huge no.
9 of 15
10. Seal dressed as Eve and Heidi Klum as the serpent from the Bible may have sounded like a good idea, until it wasn’t.
10 of 15
11. Chris Brown dressed up as Osama Bin Laden in 2012 and per usual, he caused a media stir.
11 of 15
12. Remember when, in 2015, Kim Kardashian dressed as Kim Kardashian circa 2013. Classic, but not that creative.
12 of 15
13. We wonder how Paris Hilton felt about Matt Lauer walking a day in her stilettos.
13 of 15
14. Ashanti’s costume gives super DIY vibes.
14 of 15
15. Anne Hathaway as an Egyptian goddess is not a total fail. It just doesn’t translate well.
15 of 15